baslinux - [BL] USB optical drive

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] USB optical drive
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:46:32 +0000 (UTC)

Has anyone successfully used a USB optical drive in BL? Someone gave us a USB CD/DVD-RW drive which was detected once (but not again) as sr1 by Puppy Linux (in a computer that is having trouble finding its internal drive) and I was hoping BL (in another computer that finds its internal drive just fine but where Puppy cannot find the USB one) would work better with it. Am I missing some step? I don't have a known good USB optical drive to test with (just pcmcia or internal).

I found a USB CD-RW howto. It assumes you have a usbmgr that automatically loads required modules when you plug in something USB, but did at least list what they were.

I installed all the required modules for USB storage (and CD-ROM):

cdrom
isofs
ide-cd

usbcore
uhci (or ohci)
scsi_mod
sr_mod
sd_mod
sg

It is supposed to find sr0 (or sr1 if there is another CD-ROM drive, or maybe sda1?) but does not.

Probably the drive is failing or finished failing and that is why we have it.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] USB optical drive, baslinux, 05/24/2010