baslinux - Re: [BL] BL on CF IDE drive

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL on CF IDE drive
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 16:12:45 +0000 (UTC)

This is a CF to IDE adapter for laptops and you can plug the 2"x1.73"x.25" (smaller than a laptop drive) directly into the IDE, and run it without any special drivers.

(There are also adapters from CF to PCMCIA, PCI, and SATA).

It is said to run rather slowly compared to real hard drives.
You should minimize writing to the disk by 'turning off page filing' (swap file?).

A potential way to use a laptop with missing hard drive caddy, but the caddy might be cheaper than the adapter plus CF card.

There are also mechanical microdrives that will plug into a CF port.

CF cards now come in up to 100GB. Ours are 4MB, 16MB and 64MB. We could boot BL3 from floppy and then mount the CF drive (PCMCIA) and chroot to it. (I set up my camera SM card to do something similar). Simpler than initfs.gz or lilo. But a 2.4 kernel is needed for most wireless cards.
(We have one that works with 2.2.6 and wvlan). With a 2.4 kernel, you can use a USB CF reader.

Sindi Keesan