baslinux - Re: [BL] future of linux?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] future of linux?
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:38:43 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi Keesan wrote

Consider Tiny Core Linux 2.2. I'm playing with it now. Its like DSL
only you download a 10 meg. "core" and then select what applications
you want. Leave all the ones you don't use out.
Thanks, nameless.

I looked and TC is similar to DSL in some ways. There is a core that is loaded into around 10MB RAM (32MB total RAM won't work very well with a GUI since only about 19MB is left to run the GUI and programs) plus extensions.

It is aimed at people who boot from a USB flash drive and have a wired broadband connection. You can download applications for temporary use.

There is a 7.5MB microcore and a 11MB tinycore of June 2009.

They suggest a PII and 128MB or more of RAM. I am hoping to get cardbus wireless working on laptops with 32MB RAM. None of my laptops boot from flash drive. The kernel is 2.6.29. They are trying to be small but not low-ram, and very up to date.

TC uses busybox and Xvesa or Xfbdev. Gui-based. No lynx or links or msmtp or kermit.

The extensions include Abiword, card games, alpine mail, Arora browser (FLTK), GTK2 support, gcc 3.3.6 and 4.2.2.5, gimp, glibc 2.9 (?), seamonkey 1.1.16, firefox 3.5.2, static mplayer, another mplayer, The Movie Player, OSS 4.0, Skype, Facebook chat.

Maybe some of this stuff can be useful in BL (recompiled for older glibc).

Aimed at wired connections, dialup or ethernet. No pcmcia or cardbus mentioned but tinycore laptop is supposed to force loading laptop-related modules. I could not find a list of modules - they may be in the core.