baslinux - [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [BL] newbie help with Linksys wireless WPC11v3 PCMCIA
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:57:05 -0400

Hi all,

Linux newb.  I’ve been searching all the postings for awhile now, but am still having trouble getting my Linksys WPC11v3 PCMCIA card working.

From what I’ve seen, it seems the current best module to load for this is “wvlan_cs.o”, but I’m embarassed to say I’ve been unable to figure out where to obtain this module.

Basically, I understand (unless I’m wrong), that I need to place this module inside /lib/modules/[kernel version #]/pcmcia, then run “insmod wvlan_cs.o” to install the module, then edit /etc/pcmcia/config, commenting out the original pcnet module lines and instead adding lines to have the system use the wvlan_cs.o module to communicate with the wireless card.  Is this correct?

Also, it seems I need to install  wireless-tools, so I can run the appropriate command to configure the wireless network connection, but of course I can’t figure out where to get this “wireless-tools” package from either (and probably wouldn’t know how to install it once I got it…).

Can somebody put together a little tutorial for me, detailing step-by-step how to determine what I need (e.g. I saw some talk about using a tool to get the “manfid”, but again can’t find the tools to run to get this info…), how to get and install it, then how to configure everything?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I would really appreciate it and I’m sure it would help others as well.  Once I’ve done this one time for the PCMCIA card, I will have learned enough to figure out how to do other system configurations on my own, I hope.

Thanks very much!