baslinux - Re: [BL] dual boot linux and Win2K

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dual boot linux and Win2K
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:22:37 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

See http://www.enterprisedt.com/publications/dual_boot.html
This involves copying the linux boot sector to a file on floppy disk
using dd, thence to the root of C: and editing BOOT.INI (2K file?).

I found another simpler version of this which I rewrote for BL.
Tested working.

2K used about 250MB after SP3 including 56MB of cached unused driver files. After running XPLITE and cclean to remove backups it was probably a bit less. After installing antivirus programs and cclean quite a bit more. Paging file for this computer with 96MB was 144MB but was not large enough to run the antivirus programs. Boot time about 10 minutes with antivirus installed, not counting automatic updates of 2K and antivirus and cclean. (In other words, even 96MB and a stripped down installation are not enough to run Windows 2K speedily on this lovely 233MHz laptop).

Since the new owner has not used linux, I let 2K have all but 100MB of the 1.4GB drive and left 120MB for a nice BL3.50 setup in 75MB of it, complete with links1, links123, links2 (two versions), elinks, opera8.52 (9.63 uses much more memory and wont access AOL mail), mplayer (sound is Cyrix GM and there are no NT/2K drivers but someone got this going in linux), netpbm, svp, svgalib, msmtp, and much more. 76MB, unupxed.

I modified instructions from two sites to work for bl3 in /hda2 and 2K in /hda1. Might also work for XP. You can copy from here or download:

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2kbl-lilo.conf

If you have lilo and /boot/boot.b (meaning you installed BL from 2-floppy version) just rename this lilo.conf and put into /etc/

Otherwise unpack at /
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dualboot.tgz (32K)
which also provides /boot/boot.b and /sbin/lilo.

The default lilo.conf uses my bzimlsfu.431 small laptop framebuffer kernel, useful for laptops with neomagic video, which don't do Xvesa (they produce a mess of vertical lines and you need to reboot). You will need xfbdev instead of Xvesa. And my 2.4.31 kernel modules instead of 2.2.26.

Or use a 2.2.26 framebuffer kernel from Slackware or 'big' or my 2.2.26 directory, zimafbcd.226 and zimagefb.226 (you need to add CD modules to use a CD). I tried to patch to 2.2.27 first but probably failed. 2.2.26 kernels need to be booted with nomce to work on Compaq Armadas, 2.2.27 do not (or 2.4.31).

You can comment out one section and uncomment another to use Steven's standard zimage (for laptops which do Xvesa and boot 2.2.26 properly).

Copy the following to lilo.conf
You can delete any lines with # but first edit the last part.

-------------------

##To dual-boot Win2K (hda1) and BL3.50 (hda2) using 2K boot manager
#Install Windows 2000 to /hda1 as FAT32 (so you can access it with DOS or
linux)
#Boot with 2FD BL, partition and format and mount /dev/hda2 /hd ,
# install BL from the floppies or copy extant ext2 file system
#via network, zip, or USB flash drive using David Moberg's USB linux)

#With /hda2 mounted to /hd log in to the ext2 BL and mount 2K partition
#chroot /hd /bin/sh --login #mount /proc
#mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

#Run lilo as follows to install BL to bootsector of hda2:
#For BL installed from DOS (loop) you need some missing pieces:
#make /boot, copy boot.b to /boot and copy lilo to/sbin
#copy kernel to /boot from a floppy disk
#Install lilo into boot sector of hda2 (not MBR of hda) by copying
#/etc/lilo.conf below and typing lilo -v (Enter)

#Copy hda2 boot sector from hda2 to C: (or put in c:\winnt):
#dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/mnt/bootsect.bl3 bs=512 count=1

#exit, remove floppy, reboot to DOS boot floppy or Win2K.
#Unhide boot.ini with attr -s -h boot.ini (or attrib)
#Using DOS editor or notepad, append to c:\boot.ini the line
#c:\bootsect.bl3="BL3.50" #attr +s +h boot.ini (and if you want also bootsect.bl3)
#reboot to a dual-boot menu

##/etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda2
install=boot/boot.b
map=boot/map

##Use also one of the following sections, or make your own

##For my 2.4.31 framebuffer kernel for higher resolution nicer text
image=/boot/bzimlsfu.431
label=BL350
root=/dev/hda2
read-write
vga=788
#for 800x600, or vga=791 for 1024x768 text and graphics
#use xfbdev instead of Xvesa, with resolution as specified above
#for Neomagic chips, which don't do Xvesa

##For Steven's standard 2.2.26 kernel (nomce is for Compaq Armada)
##replace above section with this one, uncommented
#image=/boot/zimage
#label=BL350
#root=/dev/hda2
#read-write
#nomce

  • Re: [BL] dual boot linux and Win2K, baslinux, 02/01/2009