baslinux - [BL] dual boot linux and Win2K

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] dual boot linux and Win2K
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:10:55 +0000 (UTC)

I want to send someone a laptop with 1.4GB drive, 96MB RAM, both os's so he can choose. Since he is in another city I cannot easily teach him linux. One option is to use 2K's boot manager to boot to either Windows or DOS, and then boot linux from DOS (using 3 partitions total). That will be even more confusing for a newbie who is afraid to learn linux.

See http://www.enterprisedt.com/publications/dual_boot.html
This involves copying the linux boot sector to a file on floppy disk using dd, thence to the root of C: and editing BOOT.INI (2K file?).

Should give you a 2K type boot menu with Windows or Linux.

Is there a a simpler way to dual boot without using DOS?

2K is usable with less than 128MB memory if you put on Antivir Avira antivirus (uses no more than 10MB while idle) instead of AVG (over 50MB). But BL does not waste any cpu and memory on antivirus (or running a bunch of useless processes). Opera won't access all sites, so 2K with Firefox would be a backup. Firefox requires too many libraries that I do not have. In Windows it uses 10MB more RAM than does Opera.

Anyone want to compile static Firefox for BL3?

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] dual boot linux and Win2K, baslinux, 01/28/2009