baslinux - [BL] BL better even on 'new' laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL better even on 'new' laptops
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:04:53 +0000 (UTC)

Windows 2K with AVG 8.0 took 13 minutes to boot and load 52MB of virus definitions plus 4MB of other AVG stuff, and 10MB of a wireless utility, and all sorts of mostly unneeded 'services' (interoffice alerts, UPS, fax, auto updates...). (Msconfig from XP works in 2K).

After removing everything but AVG from startup and unchecking all but essential services (firewall, security, hard drive, add programs - deleted printspool), 2K used 31MB (32MB is the recommended minimum!) without running any programs but Task Manager, and AVG antivirus 56MB (up from 41MB in 2007). Boot time to where AVG stopped hogging 2/3 of cpu time was ONLY 10 minutes. AVG also slowed down disk cleanup to the point where I gave up after 8 minutes. It slows down loading any program, and probably slows internet access since it checks every downloaded file.

This was on a 400MHz laptop with 192MB RAM and bare-bones 2K (Firefox and wireless card added). After defragmenting. I think without SP4.

BL has never gotten a virus yet and it boots in under 20 seconds on my 100MHz Toshiba laptop. Only problem is Opera does not work right at a lot of web sites, such as my phone company and most of the driver download sites. 8.54 seems no worse than 9.63 and uses much less memory. Firefox wants lots more libraries and probably more memory.

Sindi Keesan

  • [BL] BL better even on 'new' laptops, baslinux, 01/22/2009