baslinux - [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Promise UDMA controller not working with BL
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 03:25:03 +0000 (UTC)

Someone (Ron?) not too long ago asked for help using a Promise IDE controller card (which adds two more IDE controllers). I suggested my bzimavps.431 kernel, which is supposed to find the drives on the additional IDE2 and IDE3 controllers as hde hdf hdg hdh

The device number for hde is 33 0 (hde1 33 1).

Ramdisk BL2 booted with this kernel does not find the Promise controllers or hde - most recently onboard a Gigabyte B2000+, a transitional board with two older non-UDMA and two blue UDMA 66 controllers, even though DOS boots from the third controller, and linux boots if plugged into the first controller (with lilo or loadlin).

I looked up my old posting

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2007-October/014281.html

and confirmed that BL, though I THINK I compiled the kernel to support the Promise brand controller, does not appear to work with it. My kernel does work with SiS and Via controllers.

DOS and Windows booted from the add-in card, and Ubuntu recognized the drive as hde or hdg (first or second IDE controller on the card).
I might try the Ubuntu kernel with BL as an experiment.

Slackware 10.1 bare.i supports PDC202 OLD and NEW but not BURST.
I think I compiled for NEW only.

The Promise add-in card is reported not to work with CD-ROM drives. I left mine as hdc and it was found by BL.

Sindi Keesan