baslinux - Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 65, Issue 8

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasLinux Digest, Vol 65, Issue 8
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 18:29:42 +0000 (UTC)

@steven, I did all of that correctly, and I got no errors. I'm assuming the
MBR is corrupt or missing entirely.

Can you reformat the hard disk with DOS fdisk, sys it, and see if it will boot? We get lots of hard disks that no longer boot.

Now when I try to boot using the HD, I get
"VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 44k freed
Warning: unable to open initial console
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel"

So the console window is gone? I dunno what that means.

I think this means it cannot boot from your hard drive.

Should it be possible to boot this setup from DOS by putting loadlin and zimage (kernel) on a DOS boot floppy disk? (Do you have a floppy drive?)
We use DOS boot floppies for diagnosis when checking if hard drives are bootable. The boot sector wears out first, then the rest of the partition table area can go bad. Sometimes the last part of the drive goes bad.

loadlin zimage root=/dev/hda rw (??)