baslinux - Re: [BL] scsi/smp 2.4.31 kernels

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] scsi/smp 2.4.31 kernels
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 05:09:44 +0000 (UTC)

Sindi wrote

I compiled and posted four kernels with built-in scsi support (for hard
drive) and no IDE support. PII processor.

Then I added SMP support (dual processor), which made it much larger. Then
PPP would not work (though the modules would insert - same problem with
2.2.16 kernel) so I had to compile that into the kernel too, which brought
it up to about 800K.

There is an SMP HOWTO. 2.4 does it better than 2.2, and scsi drives are good for use with dual cpus.

If you compile an SMP kernel you need to recompile ALL your other modules (or build them into the kernel) because the old ones will not work.

If you switch back to non-SMP, you need to replace the modules with the older ones. Rather a nuisance. When I recompiled mdacon.o to work with fb, the new module worked without fb too.

Apparently scsi kernels have similar problems (my original sr_mod.o would not insert, had to be built-on).. I have gotten several drivers to work built in (including for PDA and IDE controllers) that would not work as modules but in most cases this was just a bug.

The only use I found mentioned for SMP is to compile more kernels, editing
linux/Makefile to change MAKE=make to MAKE=make -jN, where N is number of
cpus plus 1. The example they gave was for compiling something other than
a kernel (make config).

This IS kernel compilation (I goofed).

The HOWTO says:
make bzImage MAKE="make -j3"
to compile kernels faster with SMP system.
Dual 450 is not as fast as 900 for compiling kernels.