baslinux - Re: [BL] IBM PCMCIA IDE

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] IBM PCMCIA IDE
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 19:34:46 +0000 (UTC)

IBM Portable Drive Bay

card "PCMCIA IDE CARD (IBM CD-ROM)"
version "PCMCIA", "IDE CARD", "F1"
bind "ide-cs"

pcmcia found the card in the socket, inserted the modules, and the drive
spun.

What do I call the device? It is not
hda1 hdb1-4, hdc1-4, hdd1-4 hde1-hdg1
sda1 sdb1 (after inserting scsi_mod and sd_mod)
'not a valid block device'

The CD-ROM HOWTO said these drives should act like any other CD-ROM drives
after the modules are inserted.

Apparently the numbers are only needed for partitionable things like hard disks and zip disks, not CD-ROMs.

pcmcia actually told me it is hde.

/dev/hde (this can be mounted with DSL live CD) is also not a valid block device here. So it is 'like any other CD-ROM drive' except it is not working with BL - why?

Thanks for adding hde to BL3.

To find the card info, I had to use cardctl ident (after running pcmcia start). cardmgr -vo only seems to give info for cards that were already identified.

Our fastest (1998) laptop only reads OEM CDs so this would be useful.

DSL boots from boot floppy to CD on most computers without CD boot but not to PCMCIA CD.