baslinux - Re: [BL] AT keyboard not found

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] AT keyboard not found
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 00:32:50 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
ECS 2002 computer:

With this one, in DOS the PS/2 keyboard works fine, but in linux (ramdisk,
loop, ext2, various 2.2 and 2.4 kernels): Timeout: AT keyboard not
present? or simply timeout and the keyboard simply refuses to work (I
cannot log in). I tried three keyboards that work elsewhere.

USB keyboard worked in DOS (with BIOS set for that) except CTL-ALT-DEL does not work at all. SO I tried a USB keyboard in linux.

Booting with 1-floppy syslinux USB (David Moberg), the USB keyboard also works in linux. Ctrl-Alt-Del and Alt-F2 do not work. David loaded usbcore, usb-uhci, keybdev and hid modules in his initfs.gz and I was considering doing something similar.

But I decided to compile a new usb keyboard kernel instead. Booting from DOS, BL with that kernel still did not work with the USB keyboard.

I then made a lilo boot floppy for that computer (having booted with 1-floppy USB linux and USB keyboard) by copying boot.b and my usual 2.4.31 kernel to my DOS BL2 partition. First I mounted hda1 on /hd and then edited /etc/lilo.conf, changing /boot to /hd/bl2. This boot floppy worked (with the BL3 lilo and not a later lilo with lba32). So that is the solution to using a large hard disk with linux past the first 1024 sectors.

I forgot about the keyboard problem while testing lilo.
The USB keyboard worked when I lilo-booted with my non-USB kernel!
(but Ctrl-Alt-Del and Alt-F2 don't work).

The PS/2 keyboard also worked in linux after lilo boot, and Ctrl-Alt-Del and Alt-F2 do work.

BL3 2-floppy also booted (with lilo), and the PS/2 keyboard works.

So loadlin appears to have messed up the keyboard, and you don't need USB modules of any sort to use a USB keyboard in linux on this computer, booting from LILO, if you enable USB keyboard in BIOS.

I knew loadlin could interfere with Xvesa, but not keyboard.

I have another ECS computer without the keyboard problem. (It has its own problems). Maybe something went bad on the motherboard that only affects loadlin.