baslinux - Re: [BL] Xircom network drivers?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xircom network drivers?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:20:28 +1200

Message from Steven
===================

> I have a Xircom CreditcCard PS-CE2-10 ethernet adapter,

That could be a problem. IIRC the old Xircom
cards were the least Linux-friendly of all the
PCMCIA ethernet cards. I avoid Xircom like the
plague.

> and I'm having trouble finding drivers for it.

We do have a Xircom module (xirc2ps_cs.o) for BL3,
but I don't know of anyone who's actually got it
to work. Maybe it will work for you?

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru/add-ons/2_2_26/modules/pcmcia

> is there any partition manager that I can use to
> make an ext2 partition while the hard drive is
> still mounted?

First of all, you don't mount a harddrive, you mount
a partition. Although many harddrives have only one
partition, you can put multiple partitions on a single
harddrive. In fact with Linux, it is usual to have
more than one partition.

> I run BL3 off of MS-DOS,

Check whether your MS-DOS partition occupies the
entire harddrive. Boot BL3 and execute this:
--------
fdisk -l
--------
Look at the numbers carefully to determine whether
all the available space has been allocated to your
MS-DOS (FAT) partition.

> and so I can't just wipe the whole hdd to make
> the partition, but I can't think of any other way.

If all the harddrive space has already been allocated,
you can shrink the existing partition (using FIPS) to
free up space for a new partition.