baslinux - Re: [BL] new qemu image for BL 3.5 posted

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] new qemu image for BL 3.5 posted
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:25:48 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Steven wrote:

Thank you. I've copied it and linked it on the BasicLinux homepage. I'm very happy we now have an up-to-date image for the QEMU users.

You're welcome.

While I was at this and had sort of figured out anew how I went about this 3 years ago (or whenever it was that I made the last qemu image), I decided to have a go at making a totally fresh install--creating a new virtual disk and the works. If nothing else, I would find out whether it would make any difference in the final zipped file's size. So I did it.

And, for some reason, it made a huge difference in the final size of the zipped file: more than 50% smaller! Still unzips to a 100 MB disk image, still has networking enabled by default (insmod 8390, ne, udhcpc eth0 set in /etc/rc). So I've uploaded the updated version to my site under the same file name. This new one is 2.8 MB as opposed to old file's 7.9 MB. I suggest you replace the one I pointed you to earlier with the newer, smaller one, Steven.

James