baslinux - [BL] Cloning Win98 with BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Cloning Win98 with BL3
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 01:26:16 +0000 (UTC)

We were given a bunch of 8 year old computers to share, 9 of them possibly with good motherboards (but bad drives). Someone at a local senior housing place wants to help set up her neighbors with something resembling what they are learning to use at the library, which will be Windows 98 with a wordprocessor (Cetus Wordpad free edition - about 1MB with spellchecker) and browser (Opera 9.23 - 3MB, down from the 8MB of 9.02).
Soeone gave us 98Lite Trial Version which installs Win98 to 150MB without the garbage.

We set this all up in 230MB, including 50 old DOS games, Ghostscript/Ghostgum, Camunzip, etc.

The first computer kept crashing so we moved the drive to another computer (which came with nonbootable 4GB drive so we thought that must be its problem) which also keeps crashing despite unplugging sound, modem, and CD-ROM drive and using a variety of different memory. So we decided to clone the drive in case that is at fault (and to have clones for other computers as well).

DOS fdisk only makes one primary partition and we wanted 200MB for backup installation files on another primary partition. BL3 fdisk made the second partition as type Win95 FAT32. DOS formatted the first partition format /s (to make it bootable) and the second partition after I rebooted from BL3. I already made the first partition active with DOS fdisk. (I had to leave 45MB at the end unused since it choked on them).

I tried to copy with BL3 cp -a * but it turned 'Program Files' and contents into 8.3 with tildes. Windows booted but Opera would not run and the icons had funny-looking names and were in the wrong places.

Then I tried to copy with Win98, which stopped when it hit the 16MB swap file. As with linux, you should not copy from a running version.
(Linux because of /proc). I use BL3 loop or floppy to copy BL2 and BL3.

BL had complained about not finding ext2 file system when I mounted the drives the first time. Win98 uses vfat (the long file names).

I downloaded 2.2.26 vfat from the BL site modules, fs, copied it to disk 2 of BL3.40 (it just fit - I need to make more copies of BL3.50), booted with only disk1 (Ctrl-C instead of inserting disk2 since I did not need the X files or modules) but mounted disk2 where vfat.o was

insmod /fd/vfat.o
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /hd
mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /mnt
cp -a /hd/* /mnt

Turn off the computer (floppy linux does not care). Switch hda and hdc.

I have a second bootable Win98 hard disk. Much faster than copying with DOS or Win98.

If the disks were identical I could have used dd to copy (including partition tables) with the appropriate block size for the drives to speed it up even more. I made a nice mess another time trying to do this with drives of different sizes. Windows would boot but then get confused about sizes of partitions later, claiming it did not have space when it did.

Is there some way around this? What I did was straightforward and fast enough.

If this drive also crashes in this computer the board is presumably bad. We will confirm by testing both drives in a known good computer.

I wish the library would teach linux instead of XP.