baslinux - Re: [BL] ghostscript 8.54 package

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ghostscript 8.54 package
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:48:40 +0000 (UTC)

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/gs-8.54-HP-noX.tgz

Can be used without any added fonts.

I just posted some scripts and info for printing without lpr at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printdj 300 dpi
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printdjn
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printdjd 150 dpi draft
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printdjdn
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printdjh 600 dpi hi-res
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/printdjhn

The n scripts let you specify page numbers to print from a pdf file:
printdjn file.pdf 3 7 prints pages 3 to 7
d - draft
h - hi resolution (for HP printers over 600 series).

First insmod parport parport_pc and lp

I have not yet tested these scripts with Abiword, Opera, xv, xpdf. Please let me know if they work with your HP deskjet (or changed for your printer). I have tested only with deskjet, but dj500, ljet4, etc. should work if you specify them. They probably have some speed advantages or similar.

You can also print CLI directly:

gs -sOutputFile=/dev/lp0 file.pdf [-dFirstPage=1 -dLastPage=3]

The file name MUST precede the optional page numbers. Page numbering works with pdf but not with ps. The -sOutputFile probably also must precede the file name. I got various error messages trying other things.

The above uses defaults -sDEVICE=deskjet (for my 8.54 gs - otherwise you need to specify the printer because Slackware and my 8.50 gs have x11 as default), -r300, and -sPAPERSIZE=letter. Add the options for other resolutions or paper sizes.

Thanks to former list member Hal, who asked why I was using deskjet.filter and/or -sOutputFile=- - < $1 > instead of something straightforward.
I did not need -q or -dSAFER either.

You can set the default device in /etc/profile.
EXPORT GS_DEVICE=ljet4

If CLI it must precede the file name, as must page numbers. See Use.htm.

Can one make /dev/lp0 a default for -sOutputFile as in DOS gs?

I want to use BL3.50 with Abiword and Opera that print without lpr or the added gs fonts, using a script as above, to set up linux computers for friends. Printing was the missing piece of the puzzle.

A friend wants to download it and learn linux after I used 2-floppy BL3.40 to 'fix' the 120GB NTFS hard disk that he was given 'broken'. DOS fdisk found only 40MB of it. cfdisk deleted and repartitioned properly.
He liked the new wm and menu.

The computer kept rebooting (in the middle of the Windows menu for command line or GUI) until we repartitioned. He says this is a 'boot virus' in Windows. We also did fdisk /mbr in case it was some boot sector virus not found when we checked with F-Prot and something that does Monkey virus. Boot sector viruses have changed since Monkey and Stoned. The problem has gone away. Should we have done anything else? Low-level format would have taken too long.