baslinux - Re: [BL] booting with lilo

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] booting with lilo
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:45:27 +0000 (UTC)

So, until now, I've made little use of lilo. However,
that has now changed. I've just bought a cheap second-
hand laptop that won't let DOS and BL3 coexist. In
particular, Xvesa refuses to work on that laptop when
it boots via DOS. I've tried various versions of DOS,
from 3.3 to DrD. They all stop Xvesa. And that's
without config.sys and autoexec.bat. Just the bare DOS.
Normally, I am happy for CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot the computer.
The computer starts booting DOS and I turn it off. No problem.
DOS doesn't care if you poweroff in the middle of something.
However, with lilo the computer quickly reboots Linux and it's
a race to get the computer turned off before Linux comes up.
As we all know, turning the power off when Linux is running
is not a good idea.

Another solution is to boot with lilo set up on a floppy disk, and then take the floppy disk out to reboot to DOS. Or boot from lilo on hard drive, then stick in a DOS boot disk and reboot to that before powering off.

We use the lilo boot floppy disk with several ATI cards or chips which won't work with Xvesa otherwise (even without himem.sys, I think). Put in one disk for BL2 and another for BL3 and no disk for DOS. No need to type DOS or BL2 that way.

Which brand and model computer is this?