baslinux - Re: [BL] long filenames Take Two 30

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone AT tpg.com.au>
  • To: lforrestster AT gmail.com, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] long filenames Take Two 30
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:10:22 +1030

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:36:53 +0000, Lee Forrest wrote:

>> Oh, it is not monolithic. :)

> Yes it is. "Monolithic" means that one is composed of a bunch of
> seperate apps.

Monolithic literally means "in one piece". A rock monolith is NOT
the same as a heap of separate stones.

In the same way, monolithic software is ONE SINGLE chunk of
software, not a bunch of separate applications or utilities.

For your information, many of the utilities that are part of
Arachne can be used completely independently.

> There is, for example, no reason at all for a web browswer to have
> anything to do with email. Mine doesn't.

Here is one reason: a URL can be sent in an email. The recipient
can click on it and go to the site without having to load any
other software, then go straight back to the email without
interruption.

You don't like Arachne, without having tried it.

That's alright, you are entitled to your opinion.

But don't try to talk us Arachnophiles out of it.

We have used it, and we like the way it works.

And we CAN change to another browser any time we want. Or another
email client. Or whatever. Just by installing it and using it
instead of Arachne. No problems at all.

But we mostly don't want <GGGGGGG>

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v

  • Re: [BL] long filenames Take Two 30, Greg Mayman, 01/31/2007