baslinux - [BL] Mailx Mini-MUA 25

  • From: Lee Forrest <lforrestster AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Mailx Mini-MUA 25
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 05:41:16 +0000

I installed mailx from SW4.0 and am getting the hang of it.
Using it on my simple.net account at this point.

ftp://ftp.slackware.lt/pub/Linux/slackware/slackware-4.0/slakware/n1/mailx.tgz

It doesn't do MIME/attachments and that's fine by me. There are
better ways to send/receive files.

Check out these numbers:

My old mutt, without threading, (1.5.2.1i) which needs libncurses
352+248 = 600K

mailx, without threading, 72K

It runs from the commandline and seems impossible at first, but
once you study the manual and practice a little bit, it's very
slick.

If anyone wants a little tutorial, the man page in plain text,
and my (well-commented) mail.rc file, let me know.

The troff manpage, and manual (which is bigger than the
executable, but only 28K gzipped) come with the package.

The mutt manual is 500K.

I'll need to have procmail rewrite the Reply-To headers of list posts
to make sure they have the list address, but that's no big deal:

:0
{
:0 f
| formail -I"Reply-To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org"
:0
baslinux
}

It doesn't care what external apps you use. I've got it using
less as a pager and nvi as an editor, sending outgoing mail to
msmtp, with fetchmail retrieving the incoming mail, and procmail
filtering incoming and outgoing mail.

Lee

--
BasicLinux: Small is Beautiful
http://www.basiclinux.com.ru

  • [BL] Mailx Mini-MUA 25, Lee Forrest, 01/28/2007