baslinux - Re: [BL] motherboards was Re: Mining the Archive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] motherboards was Re: Mining the Archive
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 03:01:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:10:50 +0000 (UTC), sindi keesan wrote:

Now we have a computer which has no video, after being dropped. Cracked
solder joints?

More likely it is broken tracks on the board. The board flexes
and the tracks just crack across.

The breaks are usually invisible except under the most powerful
magnification.

The problem was bad RAM. We had assumed the friends who returned it left in good RAM.

This is a Tyan Thunder100 which is supposedly perfect for use with linux - eepro100 ethernet and sb16 sound onboard, and dual 450MHz cpus that are said to work with SMP starting with kernel 2.0. Can't get it to work with anything scsi except one drive. The BIOS of the onboard scsi controller has trouble with the others, and low-level formats the 2GB drives for "31MB" which linux recognized as 710GB (after we disabled parity checking) and fdisk won't access (FATAL ERROR). They worked with an Adaptec controller card until it failed (without the drives attached at the time). So did some external drives and an external CD_ROM drive. Odd. A Commodore Amiga expert will try to help.

Sindi
Thanks for your info anyway.

. ,-./\
. / \ from Greg Mayman, in Adelaide, South Australia
. \_,-*_/ "Queen City of The South" 34:55 S 138:36 E
. v