baslinux - Re: [BL] Kernel panic during install

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Kernel panic during install
  • Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 17:45:32 +1300

Tycho Clendenny wrote:

> BS 3.40, MD5-verified 2-floppy version on a Gateway2000 Solo P3C.
> I inserted floppy #1 and saw LILO and it showed a lot of output,
> then stopped:
> "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel."

The kernel is not finding the filesystem (on ramdisk).
There are several possible reasons for this:
(1) faulty floppy (raw copying requires a perfect floppy).
(2) the kernel can't find ramdisk (shared memory problem?)
(3) something is tripping up the kernel (setting? hardware?)

> Incidentally, why is BL using such an old kernel?

BasicLinux is targetted at old PCs so it uses a small
kernel (and library) to maximize performance on slow,
low-RAM systems.