baslinux - [BL] FreeBSD file system

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] FreeBSD file system
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:28:14 +0000 (UTC)

The same people who left us at the curb a Compaq computer with Redhat, a large hard drive and lots of RAM, and 2X CD burner, but no floppy drive or cage (perhaps they thought it contained their data???) just put out an HP with a 10GB drive and 256MB RAM, and DVD-ROM drive, but no floppy drive or cage, with FreeBSD that is not ext2. Redhat had login 'root' and password 'Enter' (and took forever to boot with 384MB RAM so we replaced it with BL).

Redhat was not working right because it needed hdparm run to set a parameter related to timing. It was nearly new. This one is 6 years old (probably why they gave it away), but the FreeBSD may be newer.

What file system does post-1999 FreeBSD use and what module would we need to add to the BL3.40 kernel to access it? Would it make the kernel a lot bigger to compile it with NTFS and ext3 or whatever recent linuxes and BSD's use?

Once we can access the files, where do we look for the login and password? Unlike the compaq, it is not 'root' 'Enter'. Would they be encrypted and if so, how do we change to 'root' and 'Enter'.

People have started to give us working 700MHz computers with DVD drives (because they won't take 512MB RAM) and one 800MHz (because they don't have a PCI video card with XP driver to replace the failed onboard video chip). And a 2.4GHz board/cpu that only needs 3 bad capacitors replaced. I suppose it would compile a kernel in 1 minute instead of 5.