baslinux - [BL] Resizing DOS partition

  • From: Karolis Lyvens <karolisl AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Resizing DOS partition
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 20:50:09 +0300

I have one question: is there any way to losslessly resize a DOS partition
from BL? I know that, for example, GNU parted could do that, but before
trying to compile it on BL, i'd like to know if anyone had any luck
with it.

The computer has one big DOS partition, from which only about 30% is used;
50MB of 160MB to be exact, including BL3 loop installation. I'd like
to resize that FAT16 partition to about 40MB and create ext2 formatted
partition in the unallocated space.

Because the PC has only 8MB of memory (it's "only" for BL's floppy
version, and besides that, it's enough), it cannot run BL floppy version;
i keep getting various memory allocation errors (often memory for SHELL
can't be allocated... and even when it manages to launch shell, basic
commands like "ls" or "df" or "cd" crash the shell, returning me to
"Press enter to activate this console"). That means that i have to rely
on my current DOS and BL install to handle the resizing and installing
to another partition.

OR, i think that it would be nice to have a bootable floppy, which
could mount a directory via NFS and then chroot to it... In that case,
it would have smaller memory requirements (smaller ramdrive, because it
would only have to store dependency libraries, necessary kernel modules,
and some binaries for setting up the network, mounting and chrooting)
and wouldn't be dependent from the HDD. Of course, it's just an idea,
but i think that it could be done.