baslinux - [BL] Mac-formatted Kingston USB pen drive of Type: CD-ROM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Mac-formatted Kingston USB pen drive of Type: CD-ROM
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 16:14:51 +0000 (UTC)

We were asked to check out a 256MB Kingston pen drive which a Mac person looked at and found a non-deletable 50MB Mac partition labelled TCF_2005 and the rest was a DOS partition from which he deleted all the files. He said he could write to that partition with Mac. He could not repartition it or delete the Mac partition.

Someone else also found two partitions (with Win XP?) and type CD-ROM (probably with David's linux floppy disk which I had given him to test these things with). He gave me the thing to try to repartition.

DOS can't find the drive at all.

David's 1-floppy USB linux found it as Model: TCF_2005 (not anywhere on the web, maybe the name of a conference given by the local TCF bank) and Type: CD-ROM. The info in the partition was on the pen drives, which may have been given away at a conference. (Third-hand info and/or guesses).

I am attempting to look at it with the hfs module for apple file systems, using the Slackware 10.2 bare.i kernel. I had to copy over the modules using DOS or BL3 first because that particular kernel is not capable of reading the Slackware 10.2 CD (it is in DOS format)!

I found modules.dep in that package and online and no dependencies are listed for hfs.o

insmod hfs.o

Unresolved symbol: (all of the following)
generic_file_llseek
generic_commit_write
unlock_new_indoe
generic_read_dir
block_read_full_page
__out_of_line_bug
block_sync_page
cont_prepare_write
event
mark_buffer_dirty
block_write_full_page
iget4_locked
generic_block_bmap

hfsplus gives me an even longer list

Is this something to do with the USB pen drive being write-protected somehow? A shortcoming of linux? There are two identical ones donated to where we used to volunteer.

More on Macs and partitions.

The Mac external scsi hard drive (which linux found at first but could not read the partition table, then could not find at all) was pronounced dead by our Mac expert (not recognzed in his machine either). Another external drive crashed his OS but two others worked. We downloaded the music notation software that had been on it (a version from 2001 instead of 1994) and transferred it via zip disk, with the scsi zip drive plugged through the dead external hard drive because we had no direct cable from zip drive to laptop. It worked even with the termination all backwards. Mac had to be upgraded to OS 9.1 first to run this software (which is full of images) and with 64MB it boots even more slowly than with 8.0. It took so long that at first we thought something was broken.

Since it runs slowly and displays 7 copies of the same zip disk, each with a warning about file sharing not being enabled, all of which have to be put into the trash before you can eject the disk, but the Mac keeps putting the icons back onto the screen as fast as you trash them, the recipient of this laptop computer returned it to us and will use the desktop we gave him instead (128MB RAM, 3GB, 100MHz), for which we have a direct cable to the scsi zip drive.

We could in theory put linux or BSD onto this Powerbook 233MHz with 64MB RAM and 1GB hard disk. But linux is working beautifully in 24MB or even 16MB RAM and at 100MHz in 50MB of hard disk.

  • [BL] Mac-formatted Kingston USB pen drive of Type: CD-ROM, sindi keesan, 05/14/2006