baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise) (fwd)

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise) (fwd)
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 08:37:11 -0500 (CDT)

Sent this yesterday but it seems not to have made it to the list somehow. Apologies if it gets posted twice.

On Sat, 6 May 2006, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

James Miller wrote:
qemu -fda dos.img -hdc /dev/hda3 -hdd /dev/hda4

Have you actually tried that? It works for floppies
(eg -fda /dev/fd0), but I couldn't get it work with HDs
(-hda /dev/hda) or with HD partitions (-hda /dev/hda1).

Well, come to think of it I don't think I have. The machine on which I've worked most extensively with qemu doesn't even have a free partition with which to try this, so I guess I'd have to set up some test machine to even test it out. I have definitely been able to specify booting from the computer's CD drive (/dev/hdd) this way though. For example

qemu /path/to/freedos.dsk -cdrom /dev/hdd -boot d

boots with the qemu disk image freedos.dsk as the hard drive but, if a bootable CD is in the tray, from the CD. I've just tried it to confirm. Seems like it should work similarly with a physical hard drive but, as I said, I don't think I've actually tried that. If I get a chance to test it I'll report back with results.

James

  • Re: [BL] FreeDOS image that works with qemu (reprise) (fwd), James Miller, 05/06/2006