baslinux - Re: [BL] shutdown in bl2

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] shutdown in bl2
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 13:57:41 -0500 (EST)

> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Kunle 'bona wrote:

>> just want to know how i shutdown in bl2, i've tried the shutdown comman
>> and i think it goes ino some kind of standby mode meanwhile whati want
>> it to do is poweroff completely, normally i just type reboot and turn
>> off the compuer when it's jus about rebooting.

> I type 'shutdown -h now' and then wait for it finish unmounting drives and
> killing processes, then turn off the power.

"halt" is the same thing (an alias for "shutdown -h now", as "reboot" is an
alias for "shutdown -r now".

> shutdown --help gives a list of options

> -h halt on shutdown (or -r reboots instead)

> now no wait

> or

> -t 0 0 seconds wait

Actually, -t X is for X seconds between sending the terminate signal and the
kill signal to processes. See the man page (which if you don't have man or
that
man page installed is viewable online -- type "man shutdown" in google) for
information on what the time argument can be.

> Otherwise it will probably issue some warning and wait for some default
> period (10 min?) to shut down so users can finish what they are doing

No -- it will tell you that it requires a time argument ('try "now"') and
fail.

--
kingjon AT cyberspace.org