baslinux - Re: [BL] Scanner in BL - HELP !

  • From: David Moberg <davidjmoberg AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Scanner in BL - HELP !
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:03:06 -0800

Ron Clarke wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have a problem with using a scanner that has just become available to
> me.
> It is an Acer ScanPrisa 340P flatbed parallel port model, that came with
> software for Win95.
>
> I don't have any Windows higher than 3.1.
>
> According to the Linux-HOWTOs, Acer scanners are not supported by Linux
> because they don't release their codes. And a search on Google-Linux found
> only a handful of websites (none in English) and none that seemed to offer
> any advice except to use Win XP. Yeah, right !
>
> Sane (in Peanut(=Red Hat) Linux and in SW9.1) does not find parallel
> port scanners.
> Neither does it in Knoppix.

According to this, it uses eppscsi (a method of using SCSI over
parallel port):

http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/benq-640p.html

I found this, which is a project to use eppscsi in Linux:

http://cyberelk.net/tim/parport/ppscsi.html

Check if you can get one of your Linux distributions to load
the ppscsi modules. Once you have them loaded, you should
be able to try sane with the emulated scsi device.

That's all that I can offer, I have no experience with scanners
in Linux.

David