baslinux - Re: [BL] can't installpkg

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] can't installpkg
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:51:12 +0000 (UTC)

Installpkg in BL2 is not working on one of two computers, nor is pkg working. Pkg in BL3 works on this computer.

They don't copy the files in the package but do list the package
in /var/log/packages. I can't understand the script enough to follow where it might be going wrong. I don't need installpkg but this is a symptom of having messed up something else.

BL2 installpkg works on my other computer.

I tried the full 'cp' and 'gzip', and the busybox from BL2 instead of BL3 - no help.

I discovered in the process that BL2 (SW71) pkg can be used in many ways, and we don't even need installpkg (which can replace makepkg by the way).
Note that pkg can install RPM and DEB packages!!!!!

pkg -i package.tgz - install slackware package
pkg -l - list packages in /var/log/packages
pkg -r package_name - remove package (don't need removepkg)
pkg -c package.rpm - Convert rpm, deb or slp package to slack tgz
(don't need cpio, rpmtotargz)
pkg -n package_name - create record of 'make install' package.

Installpkg has options -r and -m for 'recursive from current location' and 'make package' but nothing about rpm.

BL2 pkg is 17K, BL3 pkg is Steven's 819 byte script.