baslinux - Re: [BL] initx: file not found

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] initx: file not found
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:16:48 +1300

Sorry about the delay in answering this question. I've been away.

Quinn Quinn wrote:

> I restart in MSDOS mode from win95,
> > cd ..\baslin
> > boot

Try booting directly from naked DOS (without win95, without
config.sys, without autoexec.bat). I think you can get this
by holding down the SHIFT key when win95 first starts to boot.
Or is it the CTRL key? F4? F5? F8? One of those keys should
give you a naked DOS (if you hit it right at the beginning).

> type startx
> xinit : file not found (errno 2): unexpected signal 13

Some DOS TSRs conflict with Xvesa and stop it from working.

> could it be looking for a cdrom/modem or something?

No.

> I'm on a Laptop: Toshiba Satellite 110CS

I've just got out my Toshiba 110CS and booted BL3.
-------
startx
2
-------
Works fine (but the screen area is reduced to 640x480 pixels).
Exiting then produces a meaningless error message -- ignore it.

> Hmmm, also it has a funny screen which has two colour modes 4k and 22k?
> usually runs 800*600*256 on windows.

Do the following to see the possible modes:
----------------
Xvesa -listmodes
----------------
You should have two 800x600 modes listed on the Toshiba 110CS;
however, Xvesa is not able to do PseudoColor. So the only mode
available under Xvesa is 800x600x4 (i.e. 16 colors). You can
set 800x600x4 by editing /etc/Xconfig

To get 800x600x8 (256 colors) on my 110CS, I replaced Xvesa with
the Xsvga package from Slackware 4.0. Simply install (pkg) xsvga.tga
and no-xvesa.tgz (BL3 add-on package). To configure the new Xserver,
excute xf86config. Or, to make things easy, you will find a working
config for the 110CS on the WWW. Search for: 110CS XF86Config
Copy XF86Config to your /etc directory.