baslinux - Re: [BL] reading man pages from a .tgz file on CD

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] reading man pages from a .tgz file on CD
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 09:08:58 -0800

sindi keesan wrote:

> Is there some way to read man pages from within a .tgz file so as to save
> space on a small hard drive, using man2html and tar and links or lynx?
>
> Could a file be extracted and piped directly to man2html and then links or
> lynx, using busybox tar?

I think you would need one or two FIFOs to do this, as the latest versions
of these software packages cannot do what you want with just stdin.

You would need a FIFO for the man page to extract (unless you have enough
space for it) and you would tell 'tar' to just extract that particular
file (add the path to the file after the name of the .tgz archive. Example:

$ mkdir files
$ mkdir files/manpages
$ mkfifo files/manpages/1.man
$ tar -ztf 1.tgz
files/manpages/1.man
files/manpages/2.man
$ tar -zxf 1.tgz files/manpages/1.man

You would also need a FIFO for the HTML output. I don't know if lynx/links
will even handle FIFOs, so you may need to use a larger hard drive anyway.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com