baslinux - Re: [BL] Using the floppy (3.5") disk drive

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using the floppy (3.5") disk drive
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:04:49 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "dnhschmidt AT juno.com" <dnhschmidt AT juno.com>

> If I use "d" and the arrow keys to go to /dev/fd0 , a dialog
> box comes up that says:
>
> ***********
>
> Error
>
> Unknown file type
>
> ***********

This is because "d" has no idea how to handle /dev/fd0.

> This may have bearing: the files I want to view were placed on the
> floppy disk by Windows.

On BL, to access the files on a floppy disk, you must first mount
the disk (after inserting it into fd0 AKA drive A:):

------------------
mount /dev/fd0 /fd
------------------

After you have done this, you will find the files from the
floppy under /fd. Use "d" to navigate over there.

Before you eject the disk, don't forget to unmount:

umount /fd

> Thank you for your help,
> Dan

David