baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and startx

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and startx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 15:10:43 +0000 (UTC)

If you want to use the SVGA server you also need to download and install (pkg) no-xvesa.tgz from Steven's site. That will give you 800x600 resolution. If you want more than that, I posted an XF86Config file that worked on my card and monitor at 1024 but it is not guaranteed to work for you or even not to damage your monitor. I posted another XF86Config for my Chips and Technologies video on a Compaq Elite laptop. You can also run xf86config to make your own XF86Config after installing no-xvesa.tgz (which includes that configuration program).

You were not supposed to have installed the SVGA server to use with the basic model of BL3, which uses Xvesa. Installation changes the symbolic link. Try changing X back to point to Xvesa (/usr/X11R6/bin/X ?) instead of the SVGA server. From /usr/X11R6/bin (or whereever you find X and Xvesa)

rm X

then

ln -s Xvesa X .

Steven posted no-Xvesa.tgz for people who could not or preferred not to use Xvesa, which has various disadvantages, such as not working with MS DOS 6.22 himem.sys, not doing 256 colors, and not working at all on some video chips (out two laptops and an AGP video card). Abiword and Links2 need at least 256 colors and that is the maximum color depth of some video cards. In theory his setup should work with not only X-SVGA but also with other X servers. It contains the minimum of files needed to run X with a few fonts, and icewm. He also posted icewm.tgz for BL3.