baslinux - Re: [BL] MP3 via ethernet, was Re: BL streaming MP3

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] MP3 via ethernet, was Re: BL streaming MP3
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:32:43 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> It [RA] works on one computer - I was wondering if you could just feed
> the output over the ethernet cable as some other format (wav) and
> play that somehow.

It would be tricky with the Real player, as I don't think it outputs
anywhere except /dev/dsp.

> > Here's a basic plan:
> >
> > On the computer connected to the Internet:
> >
> > wget -O - http://www.mp3.com/some_mp3_stream.mp3 | tee buffer | nc -l -p
> > 95
>
> tee lets you listen to it and also send a copy elsewhere, and I
> have used it to watch something compiling and also save the same
> messages to a file.

Exactly.

> What does 95 do or mean? nc is netcat and Steven uses it in his
> send/receive routines.

It's just a port number I made up. You can use any number between
0 and 65536, as long as something else doesn't try to use it. If
the only other network connection is made by wget, you can choose
any number in that range except 80 (or the last part of the URL...
if the URL is http://www.something.com:8090 then you cannot use
8090)

nc is a very handy tool. You can also use telnet to connect to a
listening nc session.

> > cat buffer | mpg123 -
>
> Could this be included somehow on the other line, or in a script?

Sure.

wget -O - http://www.mp3.com/some_mp3_stream.mp3 | tee buffer | nc -l -p 95 &
cat buffer | mpg123 -

(Get rid of the line break, if desired)

> >> Is there some simple convertor from realaudio format to mp3 format?
> >
> > If you ever get MPlayer working, see if it can decode your RA streams.
>
> Any ideas how to get it working? In theory it is much easier than
> Xine to set up since no dependencies.

Try mplayer -ao pcm with a real audio stream for now?

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com