baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: Using libc5 programs in BL2 (netpbm)

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: Using libc5 programs in BL2 (netpbm)
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:45:41 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> You deleted the old subject line too soon ;=)

Just great (not).

> > mpg321 or mpg123? mpg123 hasn't ever died on me in midstream, except
> > when I use it on a wget'ed file (the file has an EOF, which mpg123
> > takes as a signal to quit).
> 321, he says. He thought 123 was proprietary.

Depends on your definition of proprietary. In the US, of course, there
is the patent on decoding of MP3s which both have at least something to
do with. But there are many pieces of free software which touch the
minefield of patents that exist in the US. 123 is GPL'ed.

> I tried to use Abiword while chrooted and could not get it to work.

Either the xset font routine is having trouble, or X thinks that the
chroot'ed environment is a different computer and won't let it connect
without the -ac command line option.

> >> Isn't %1 %2 two arguments? I would need to specify the program and
> >> the file it acts on (tiff or pnm).
> >
> > Oh yeah, in ash I believe it's $1 $2, not %1 %2. $1 = program name,
> > $2 = first argument to a program.
>
> So if I change the above to $1 $2 (where is it %?)

DOS uses percentage marks.

> it should let me
> do the following?

Yes.

> When would I want more arguments, besides the program and the file
> it is converting?

If you are running a libc5 binary which needs more arguments (something
not from the netpbm distribution).

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com