baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 14:55:50 +0000 (UTC)

Time to boot with the SW8.1 bare.i kernel on a P166 with 64MB RAM: about 13 seconds.

Time with David's framebuffer kernel based on BL3 kernel: about 14 seconds.

The former created a dmesg about twice as long, including linear and RAID personalities, and various other things not in my hardware (mtr?).

They both apparently tried to load ne.o for pci card.

The bare.i kernel took up about 4MB RAM, David's fb kernel about 2.5MB.
Big difference if you have 8MB or even 16MB RAM, but anyone with a desktop pentium, or even a 486 with 72-pin SIMM slots can easily put in 32MB.

David's kernel worked with svgalib on the matrox, bare.i from SW81 did not. The other two fb cards don't do svgalib with any kernel I tried.
Any idea why the SW81 kernel could not handle svgalib with matrox?

I will put the 4MB framebuffer card into my partner's computer so he can use his 17" monitor at 100 or 132 col with better-looking text and enough colors to run links2, abiword, and opera at 1024. He can live without links2 and zgv in svgalib mode. And use David's small fb kernel.