baslinux - [BL] SANE with BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] SANE with BL2
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:23:21 +0000 (UTC)

I gave up on the HP scanner for which I had compiled sane 0.87 (with help and with -I and path after CFLAGS) because it found the card but not the scanner and Hal said he has a scanner that works in one computer (AMD K6/350) but not in the other and my HP has an ISA card and I don't have a free slot in my AMD K6/350.

After he had suggested it for a few months I installed the SW81 SANE package and then tried to make it work with the 3 scsi modules and aic7xxx. It did not find any scanner. Do I perhaps need to give the aic7xxx more information such as address or irq? aic7850

The module for hp wanted some details in a specific format.

So I used the SW81 adaptec.s kernel without any modules and it all worked.
Except that my BL2 modules no longer work, and zgv tells me mmap error in paged screen memory. Why?

scanimage -L identifies the scanner
scanimage --mode l --resolutiom 150 testfile.pnm
produces a B/W low-res .pnm file which I can view with xv (but not zgv which won't even load).

UMAX has alot of controls for color, brightness, what portion of the page to copy, etc., none of which needs a mouse but you can get a frontend to use in X if you prefer mice. All I want to do is copy entire pages of text (tax records, handwriting that I need to email somewhere for help reading it in odd languages). The linux setup is immensely faster than Windows even if I have to reboot with the SW81 kernel. Some day I will learn to compile my own adaptec.s kernel but this one booted pretty quickly, finding a RAID personality among other oddities. What is that?