baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 18:27:13 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Joel wrote:

> Right now, I've looked at Deli Linux, and found some kernels, but no ide
> is available by itself. That's because the ide kernel is in the ide.dsk
> boot image. I tried extracting it with Winimage, but it wouldn't work. I
> also tried writing the disk with Rawrite, and then getting the kernel,
> but it is written in ext2 format. So, if somebody has a good .dsk
> extractor and can transfer it to a windows format, that would be
> fabulous.

Do you have BL installed? If so, you might be able to mount the disk
image as a looped filesystem, then copy the kernel over to your BL
partition. To do this, you'd load the file onto your BL partition. Then,
you's create a mount point: maybe something like

-----------------
mkdir /mnt/deli
-----------------

Then, you'd mount the disk image there. Something like

mount -t ext2 -o loop /path/to/ide.dsk /mnt/deli

Then, you'd surf to the /mnt/deli partition (I use mc, myself), locate the
kernel image and copy it to the regular filesystem. Or maybe to a DOS
partition if you boot from DOS. Then, unmount the looped filesystem:

umount /mnt/deli

Could this be done from BL2 ramdisk, Steven?

James