baslinux - [BL] Re: BasLinux Digest, Vol 19, Issue 21

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: BasLinux Digest, Vol 19, Issue 21
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:08:41 -0400

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

Sure, something to keep me busy in the cold weather if I get RP8 working
and ghostscript compiled and mutt sending binary attachments. I have not
used GUI WP but I am familiar with the DOS CLI versions. How enormous is
WP8? I could run WP4.2 off one floppy disk (and spellchecker off
another). 360K floppy disk.

The download was something like 26MB. Floppy disks are, obviously, out of
the question. Don't know about keyboard functionality either.

Maybe I could install WP8 without the clip art and fonts and thesaurus and
help files. Is there any law against making a smaller package for
sharing?

I'm sure it's under copyright, so sharing (as a download of files)
whatever you would do with it would probably be illegal. But undoubtedly
quite alot of stripping-down could be done. There's a fair amount of
documentation on the web about WP8 under Linux: maybe you could just add
to the documentation, focussing on how to trim down the installation?

It's not that hard to trim down. It usually installs itself in /opt/wp8, so trimming it down isn't that bad.

I presume this recent WP will import .doc (WORD) and .rtf. WP51 won't.

I really haven't used it much, but my supposition is that it's probably
.doc compatible up to the versions of Word contemporaneous with it.
Perhaps dedicated users have produced import filters for newer Word
versions in the interim? I'd be *very* surprised if it won't handle .rtf.

I'll plan on sending a CD of the tar.gz install file(s) I downloaded
a couple of years ago. I also have the stuff uncompressed on a CD I got
from Edmunds that includes Corel Draw, if you'd rather have that.

I have used WP 8, and it does handle .doc up until about Word 97, and it handles .rtf.

James

  • [BL] Re: BasLinux Digest, Vol 19, Issue 21, Stephen Clement, 10/14/2004