baslinux - Re: [BL] Network is unreachable

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: lucasbr AT brturbo.com
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Network is unreachable
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:51:43 +1200

Luiz Carlos B. Rodrigues wrote:

> pico netsetup
> uncomment the lines
> insmod 8390
> insmod 3c509
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

The first time you enter those lines, you should do them
one-by-one from the keyboard. That way you will see the
response to each line. Later, when it is working perfectly,
you can put them into a script.

Are you sure your network card uses the 3c509 module?
If so, you do not need "insmod 8390"
What message do you get when you "insmod 3c509"?
Does it tell you eth0 is active?

There is no point doing the ifconfig line until you get
a message saying eth0 exists.

> ifconfig returns lo e eth0 parameters, include inet addres
> and netmask configured for me.

That's your localhost. BasicLinux configures that
automatically for you.

If there is no entry for eth0, then your interface is
not working.

> ping 127.0.0.1 ok.

That's your localhost. You are pinging yourself.

> But
> ping 192.168.0.2 returns
> NETWORK IS UNREACHABLE.

You are unable to ping that address because it was not
successfully configured.

> I'm using Basic Linux 1.7

In BL1 you need "route add -net 192.168.0.0" to set the
routing table (this is done automatically in BL2 and BL3).
However, this does not appear to be your problem. If there
is no eth0 entry when you execute ifconfig, then the problem
lies with the interface, not the route. I suspect you are
using the wrong module with your network card and that stops
ifconfig from working.

  • Re: [BL] Network is unreachable, 3aoo-cvfd, 09/09/2004