baslinux - [BL] (no subject)

  • From: kenm AT surfbest.net
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:17:59 +0000 (GMT)

From: Ken Martwick <kenm AT surfbest.net>
To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [BL] Static or not?
(http://esp-team.scene.hu)

Hi,
Since the possibility of supplying Netscape 3.04 for BL3 was mentioned,
I wanted to try it. I had a copy from BL1 that was installed in BL3.21.
Running "ldd netscape" yielded "statically linked (ELF)", but trying to run
it produced the error message "Cannot open libXt.so.1". An attempt to run
the same version under BL2 gave me an error message about not being able to
open libc5 though "ldd" had again asserted that netscape was statically
linked. Obviously, that isn't true, but why does "ldd" say it is and how
can one test a binary file more accurately?
Ken Martwick