baslinux - Re: [BL] Instant messenger

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Instant messenger
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:23:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, [iso-8859-1] Gui wrote:

> Gui wrote:
> >
> > Somebody knows if exists some Instant Messenger that
> > can be used in BL1 or BL2 without hd-installing?
>
> I'm pretty sure that GAIM (or is that NAIM?) will run
> from /tmp on BL2.
>
> I've never done IM myself, but I think James will be
> able to help you.
>
> Cheers,
> Steven
>
> I think must be NAIM because it comes with cygwin and damnsmalllinux (dsl)
> a minimalist version of knoppix (50mb only) but, it must be compiled and I
> don't know how to do it in a ram-disk..or perhaps is another way to have
> NAIM working?
>
> By the way: who's James? How can I connect him for asking him help about
> this teme?

'Tis I. The client in question is naim, as you guessed. Gaim is a
monstrosity requiring a recent version of gtk and other libs/dependencies:
you'll want to avoid that one. The author of naim provides a Slack
package (.tgz) on his site: look for "precompiled binaries" to find the
download link. Last time I tried it, it installed just fine using
installpkg on BL2 (no dependency problems), so I assume it will still
work. naim does not work under BL1, though. I tried compiling a version
for BL1, but the attempt failed. I never worked out what the problem was.
So, if you want to IM using BL, you must use BL2 (not sure about BL3: naim
requires ncurses, but other than that has few dependencies). The client
does AIM/TOC protocol, as well as something called "Lilly" and IRC.
Don't know about Yahoo or MSN protocol - I kind of doubt it works with
those.

James