baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:27:31

On 22 Apr 04 at 16:39, keesan AT iamjlamb.com wrote:

>I had heard rumors of some way to run Windows from the DOS command line to
>avoid all the icons and the long wait to load everything. Just type win and
>the name of whatever program you need to run. I would like to be able to do
>that for wordview because WORD keeps coming up with ridiculos new features
>that antiword (and wvware and catdoc) can't keep up with. The only other
>thing I might use Win98 for is to play realaudio as I have had no luck with
>linux sound yet. (Perhaps it might help to use an SB16 card that is new
>enough not to use IRQ15?). Or to burn CDs until I learn to do that in DOS
>or linux. What were you thinking of using Windows for when you installed
>it?

Somewhere on the web there is an excellent script named 'cddoit' that
offers all possible and impossible functions you might need.
You only have to the permission checks in the script, then everything
will work even BL. If you want to _learn_ it is a very good
way to study the command line parameters used by this script file.
After a while you will be able to "do it" on your own.

>Does anyone know how to stop the Windows bmp from coming onscreen while
>booting into non-gui mode? (Is there some file I can just delete
>somewhere?).

I do not have it here on this computer, but I think it is the banner=0
option in msdos.sys. Of course deleting the directory c:\windows is a
much more elegant approach.

Christof Lange

Christof Lange <cce.zizkov AT volny.cz>
Prokopova 4, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
phone: (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov