baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:15:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > The BL1 eznet might work if you add this to eznet.conf:
> > ----------------
> > pppversion 2.2
> > ----------------
>
> Oops, make that 2.3. You installed pppd 2.3 didn't you?

Yes, you told me to because 2.2 was not working with the later kernel.
I will try this tomorrow.

If this works with lynx, perhaps you could help me to set up something
that will let me send mail from within lynx, or at least send the address
to the mail program the way you set it up with links. I just realized I
can send mail from another terminal rather than exiting lynx.

I am pretty impressed that you got all of this to work together already,
including eznet, pppd, and mail. The mail program was a stumbling block
in lynx for DOS - Doug eventually switched to another mail program after a
bug showed up in the first setup. The dialer he recommends almost never
works for me (a DOS port of chat) and frequently those from Arachne and
Bobcat also don't work, and they are highly modem dependent. I changed
ISPs and what worked before won't work at all now. Works fine in linux.

Except for this business of mixing versions of things, basiclinux has
always worked perfectly - dials and connects and loads packet driver on
the first try. Unbelievably easy to set up and use (if I don't misplace
my floppy disk when using the RAMdisk version). Only drawback is that I
don't have a straightforward way to send mail while using lynx.

Thanks again for sharing your successes with us, and for all the
explanations.