baslinux - Re: [BL] USB drive

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] USB drive
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:57:43 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> I was given a 32Mb "drive", apparently a 'flash memory' thing, which
> plugs into a USB port. It seems to work under Windows 98.
>
> How would I access it under BasicLinux 2.1?
>
> I tried cfdisk /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2
>
> and got messages saying no such drive?

I'm almost sure the BL kernel won't support USB (Steven?). To use it,
you'll probably have to boot with a newer/fuller kernel, and have along
with it the right set of newer modules (modules are to Linux something
like what drivers are to Windows - the difference being that they are
specific to a particular kernel under Linux). My expereince with even
newer versions of Linux when it comes to USB is that it's pretty
hit-and-miss. Be prepared for a fair amount of work, learning and
frustration if you really intend to use this drive under BL/Linux.

James