baslinux - Re: [BL] Of zip and zippers

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Of zip and zippers
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 07:49:39 +1300

Mark Fisher wrote:

> have you tried running zipslack and opening a ZIP...
> you can't. or couldn't maybe you can now.. don't know?

The Linux zipper/unzipper is in the infozip.tgz package.
You will find it in: /slakware/a8
I'm surprised that ZipSlack doesn't include that package.

Infozip.tgz is one of the first packages I add after
installing BL2 to HD. That provides unzipping and zipping
capability for pkzip-type files.

Once you have installed infozip.tgz (and less.tgz), you
can configure d (links in local mode) to view the contents
of zip files. Just add the following to ~/.links/links.cfg
association "unzip" "application/zip" "unzip -l % | less" 17 1
extension "zip" "application/zip"
Now when you press right-arrow over a file ending in .zip
links will list the files in the archive.

> could someone please make BL available in a GZ or just
> tared self extracting maybe, nix and dos.

bl2-10.zip is targeted at first-time users, so a zip archive
is most appropriate. The problem with a self-extracting
archive is getting it to work on everything from MSDOS 3.3
to Windows 2004 (also the self-extraction routine increases
the size of the package).

> When your backs aginst the wall and all you have left is M$
> you just wana cry.

That's why I always have the two-floppy version of BasicLinux
in my briefcase.