baslinux - Re: [BL] pcmcia linksys np100 10/100 eth, problem!!!

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pcmcia linksys np100 10/100 eth, problem!!!
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:46:10 +1300

Jason Yeo wrote:

> I have an old Nec Versa P75 laptop with a linksys np100
> ethernet card. This card is not supported in basiclinux 2.1..

To use PCMCIA on BL2, you should install the pcmcia.tgz
package from Slackware 7.1. It includes all the needed
modules.

> Went to slackware site downloaded :
>
> Pcmcia_core.o
> Pcnet_cs.o
> Tulip_cd.o

Those are all in the pcmcia.tgz package. Two other modules
are also needed (ds.o, i82365.o) plus the cardmgr executable.
All of those are in the pcmcia.tgz package. You will find
it in /slakware/a11.

> I first insmod 8390

That's probably not needed.

> Then tried both pcnet_cs and tulip_cb

After pcmcia_core, you need:
-------------
insmod ds
insmod i82365
-------------
Then execute: cardmgr

> (I'm not to sure but I think pcnet_cs is the driver for this card).

The pcmcia package includes a database of common cards. Hopefully
yours will be there and will be automatically configured by cardmgr.
If not, you will need to enter the parameters manually.

**********************
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
**********************
All of those insmods are probably not needed. The pcmcia.tgz
package includes a script that will probably do everything for
you (including the execution of cardmgr). To execute the script,
do the following:
/etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start
If you get an error message, write down *exactly* what it says.

You will find documentation for pcmcia in:
/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO