baslinux - [BL] block quotes and copying scripts

  • From: keesan2 AT cyberspace.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] block quotes and copying scripts
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 20:03:11 -0500

>> what is between the single quotes is not bein
>
>Those aren't single quotes. They are back-quotes
>(on the same key as the ~ on my keyboard).
>
>The safest way to copy a script is to open an xterm and
>enter something like: edit /tmp/xxx
>Then use the mouse to block the script from the message
>and middle-button it into the xterm.
>
>Cheers,
>Steven

We don't have a 3-button serial mouse. I copied the script from the
screen of my DOS computer to a used envelope using a pencil. Jim copied
over my handwriting as > > and I changed it to ' ' when it should have
been ` `. Jim has taken over the Linux computer so I read email with DOS.

We could use the program 'screen' to copy things from one file to another
if I could get it to work on this computer. It worked on the last one. I
think both times I used the one in the standard slackware 8.0
distribution. Has anyone else managed to get 'screen' working? It lets
you set up 10 pseudo terminals on one terminal and copy between them
without a mouse. When I try to use screen (for which I have all required
dependencies) it tells me 'No more PTYs'. PTY - pseudoterminal.

Another way would have been to download the webpage (or email), copy to
floppy disk, and walk it over to the other computer and copy it to hard
drive and edit it with pico. The paper and pencil seemed quicker and this
way we learned something.