baslinux - [BL] no free PTYs and symlink deleted

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan2 AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] no free PTYs and symlink deleted
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:02:00 -0500 (EST)

I am trying to get 'screen' working. I makes one terminal usable as
several screens and I think I had the version from Slackware 8.0 working
on another computer. But now it tells me 'no free PTYs'
(pseudoterminals). I got the same results with a version for Slackware
8.0 that required ncurses 5.2 (which I got from SW8.0). The version from
SW8.1 would not run at all.

In the process of trying different versions I deleted ncurses and
got some error message about libtermcap so I deleted elflibs in order to
reinstall it properly in case I had deleted a shared file, and then could
not install any packages or even reboot (had to power off) or boot.

So I used the RAMdisk version of BL2 to hand-install elflibs (tar -xvzf
elflibs.tgz) and copied the files to where they belonged. Not sure of the
exact details but at some point it would boot but not install files. Then
I wrote a symlink for one of the files (lib termcap) which is what it
could not find while booting. How do I slow down the error messages
during bootup, or look at them later with the ramdisk version?

The rescue BL2 was really helpful to have.

Then when I reinstalled elflibs with installpkg it could not find some
file in ncurses so I reinstalled that (from SW7.1 not SW80 this time) and
then reinstalled elflibs again and no error messages.

The older screen still does not work. Any ideas how to get it working?

The purpose of all this was to see if ncurses 5.2 from SW8.0 works with
screen (does it need a newer library) and I still don't know. How can I
check this? I was told to use this ncurses to compile lynx if possible.
One suggestion was to compile lynx with it and see if lynx works and if
not try the older one (5.0 from SW71), but I expect lynx will not work
when I compile it for numerous other reasons.

Regarding X and better resolution:
Just installing XS3 did not do it - I need to edit XF86Config somehow and
set some graphics driver as 'accel'. I think my books will explain, but
does anyone have a simple description of what exactly to edit?

Despite signing up three times now, I still am not getting list mail.
Steven, could you get me signed up? Maybe they won't resubscribe people
and I should have 'gone on vacation' instead of unsubscribing?

Sindi Keesan