baslinux - Re: [BL] Location for my scripts?

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Location for my scripts?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 04:56:59 -0500 (EST)

> Where is the appropriate directory to put home-made executable scripts,
> such as one to routinely back up an important file from this computer to
> the other one?
>
> In Win/DOS, I made a C:\batch\ directory and have the following line in
> C:\autoexec.bat:
> path C:\batch;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;c:\dosprogs\util

Personally, I'd put them in a ~/scripts directory (i.e. a scripts directory
under your home directory), and add that to the PATH, by adding the
following
line to ~/.profile:

export PATH=$PATH:~/scripts

This means they will only be available to the user you log on as.

If you wanted to make them available to other users, you might want to create
/usr/local/scripts directory, and add that to the path in /etc/profile.

An easier thing to do is to go in as root and put them somewhere that is
already on the PATH - e.g. /usr/local/bin. However, I have learnt from
experience that this can cause problems - as there will also be other stuff
there, and as you add more packages, it will gradually get harder and harder
to distinguish your scripts from other programs.

just my 2p

Ian