baslinux - Re: [BL] BasicLinux 1.9 RELEASED

  • From: "Krzysztof A. Suchecki" <christopher.suchecki AT wp.pl>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BasicLinux 1.9 RELEASED
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 09:04:08 +0200

qwms-avib AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> keep developing the BL1 line. He had some good ideas for
> making BL1 better: adding support for non-English users,
> replacing the 2.0.34 kernel with 2.0.39 and using packages
> from Slackware 3.9 instead of 3.5. They sounded like good
> ideas so I handed BL1 over to him.
>
> I didn't see any of those things mentioned in the BL 1.9
> announcement. Perhaps I missed something?

Not so fast Steven, not so fast :)

1. slackware 3.9 instead of 3.5 - bl1 based on sl 3.9 doesn't
fit on a standard 1.44mb floppy. i don't want to remove bl1
functionality in change for newer slackware packages.

2. 2.0.39 kernel
it should be provided as standard slackware kernels -
30 or 40 different kernels - space (which may be not such a
problem as James have sth :) ) and download speed for users.
It's IMHO better for users if they take different kernels
from standard slackware mirrors.

3. support for non-English users.
- loadfont is included in a standard distro so it's a step ahead.
- email SMTP client working properly with non-English letters
that will fit in BL - these i saw: "libc6 required"

Chris

"Zwierciadło" z filmem na DVD "Gusta i Guściki" za darmo.
Nie przegap tej okazji! < http://film.wp.pl/p/film.html?id=1862&h=5354115 >